20.7.11

Yuk, yuk, yuk...amen!

Since we've been a bit immersed in our final class project for the last few days, I am going to revert back to some outings we actually had last week that I haven't shared yet. Don't worry, we presented our project today, so there's more fast-breaking excitement to come soon!!

Last week, we went to explore the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal. Now it may seem that Notre-Dames are a dime a dozen...and indeed, they do seem to pop up everywhere. However, having been into a large number of Notre Dames myself over the years, I can say with confidence that this one is truly magnificent.

Apparently, the origins of the building date back to the mid-1600's although the current structure doesn't resemble the original at all. During a 19th-century remodel, the inspiration for the interior decoration was taken from Sainte-Chappelle in Paris, one of the most incredible religious buildings in the world. Feast your eyes on a few more pictures of the high Gothic style...




I found some of the stained glass extremely interesting as they depicted more "New World" images than I was expecting. For example, several windows told the story of the founding of Quebec, complete with colonizers and native people. I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the New and Old Worlds. The guys in the picture with me below did too...
At this point, you may be wondering about the "yuk, yuk, yuk..." part of the title...or maybe not. In any case, we were fortunate enough to have received tickets from the program's organizers to a stand-up comedy show that was part of the "Juste Pour Rire" ("Just for Laughs") festival that is a big deal here in Montreal. The show was called "Le Cabaret des Maudits Français" ("The Rotten Frenchmen's Cabaret"), which references the sometimes strained relationship between the French and the French-Canadians. The French often seem to feel superior to their "country bumpkin" cousins from Quebec and the Quebecois seem to feel like the French are snobs who have no real reason to think they're such hot stuff. In any case, the show was all French comedians from France, presenting to an audience full of Quebecois...hmmmmm.... I know there are some readers out there thinking..."how funny could this show possibly be? The French aren't funny!" And I have to say, I had my doubts going into it.

Male French Majorette...hilarious!
However, those doubts were completely unfounded. The show was hilarious!! I was so proud of the fact that I understood the majority of the jokes, even though they were delivered in rapid-fire french that the evening would have been a success regardless. It was truly funny, though. Had the comedians been from Quebec, however, I don't think I would have had as much luck with my comprehension. Even after 3 weeks, it's still tough to decipher sometimes!
Maybe you had to be there....
No, we're not at a dentist's appointment...we're supposed to be laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment